Guide to Skywatching & Astronomy in Ireland
Data also useful for the UK & some of Europe

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Naming of Moons, July

The July Full Moon on the 28th is called Thunder Moon (common time for storms in certain areas), Buck Moon (as this is when the bucks push out their velvety nubs which branch and develop into a major rack of antlers), Summer moon and mid summer moon, Full hay moon & my personal favourite the medieval reference - mead moon (for recipes on meads, hydromels, methglins & melomels see “thedockleaf” herblog on this blog site) Ooh yeah, gonna make some rose mead & maybe try some fruity mead too… I’ll keep you posted. Of course I may have to rename the moon 6-9 months ahead to mead ready moon… In fact I could probably rename all the moons based around the herbal home made wines I make. Dandelion, Lovage, Cherry, Elderflower… hmmm and then some of the tinctures and other bits I make… gosh I think I’m to something there… I think it may be similar to some cultural reference somewhere though – Moon when berries are ripe, Rose moon … EXCITING!

No comments:

Post a Comment